Week 4 Blog Assignment

Lesson Plan Generated by Magic School AI (Linked)

This week, I used Magic School AI to help generate a lesson that connects the CCSS, ISTE Standards for Students, and content we are currently covering in class: solving two-step equations and equations involving distribution. The standard addressed in this lesson is CCSS.7.EE.B.4, which asks students to use variables to represent quantities in real-world or mathematical problems and to construct simple equations and inequalities to solve problems by reasoning about the quantities.

Overall, I found the lesson to be well-aligned with the standard. The learning objective directly reflects the standard, requiring students to translate real-world scenarios into equations and solve them by creating a variable for an unknown quantity. I consider this lesson rigorous because it goes beyond basic equation solving—students must interpret their answers, model situations, and justify each step. The assessments, both formative and summative, are aligned with the learning objective and provide a clear grading structure. One improvement I would make is to include a student self-reflection component on the assessment, so students can reflect on their process and gain a deeper conceptual understanding of why they made the choices they did.

While reviewing the lesson, I asked myself whether this tool is useful for creating truly rigorous lesson plans. My answer is: not entirely. I do believe Magic School AI supports alignment between standards, instruction, objectives, and assessments, and it is time-efficient for generating practice or extension problems. However, for a lesson to be truly rigorous, a teacher’s input is essential—they understand where students struggle, what deficiencies exist, and what supports each learner needs. Therefore, I would use this tool as a supplement, not as the primary source for lesson planning.

This lesson also reflects recent course readings. It incorporates ISTE Standards for Students by integrating technology, such as spreadsheets and calculators, to verify solutions. It aligns with Kolb's Experiential Learning Framework by engaging students in a real-world group problem, allowing them to enhance the lesson with digital tools, and extending their thinking by having them explore higher-level, real-world situations based on the problems provided.

Magic Schools Tool - Math Story Word Problem 

Given that a large portion of this lesson is based on real-world problems, I decided to explore the tool “Math Story Word Problems.” This tool generates word problems by allowing you to select the grade level, number of questions, relevant standard or objective, and the topics you want the problems to cover. I really liked this tool because it provides an easy way to create enrichment tasks for students or modifications for those who may need additional support. It’s a quick solution when students need more practice, especially after completing the main lesson activities. I would definitely use these problems for extra practice or even as a possible exit ticket for my students as it supports the lesson.

Reflection

I think Magic School AI is a convenient resource, especially for generating content that aligns with standards and provides students with practice they are capable of completing and solving. I might share it with colleagues who need a quick, easy tool for lesson ideas or enrichment, but I would not rely on it for in-depth planning. For me personally, I follow a strict pacing guide with little flexibility, so it’s challenging to pull tasks outside of our workbook.

The main challenge I see is reliability - AI is never 100% accurate, so it’s important to verify that the content truly aligns with the standards being taught. On the plus side, it saves time and offers standards-based content quickly. From the Guidance and Considerations for Using AI in Oklahoma K-12 Schools, I appreciate the emphasis on verification and responsible use. I also have experience with an AI tool included in our math curriculum, which helps streamline lessons by suggesting optional content to exclude which is beneficial when in a time crunch.

References:

CCSS Overview. (2010, June). CT.gov - Connecticut’s Official State https://portal.ct.gov/SDE/CT-Core-Standards/CCSS-Overview 

International Society for Technology (2024). ISTE Standardshttps://www.iste.org/standards


Comments

  1. This post presents a clear, balanced reflection on using AI in lesson planning. I appreciate how you highlighted strong alignment between CCSS.7.EE.B.4, the learning objective, and assessments, especially the focus on modeling, interpretation, and justification as markers of rigor. Your suggestion to include student self-reflection is a great addition, as it would strengthen metacognition and deepen conceptual understanding.

    I also agree with your conclusion that Magic School AI works best as a supplement rather than a replacement for teacher expertise. Your discussion of the Math Story Word Problem tool shows how AI can be useful for differentiation, enrichment, and quick practice, while your emphasis on verification and responsible use reflects a thoughtful and realistic approach to integrating AI in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Erica,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I also used the MagicSchool AI program to formulate a lesson plan. I had it do one that aligned with an Oklahoma pre‑K standard. Unfortunately for me, the AI program didn’t create a lesson that would be appropriate as an introductory activity for pre‑K students. I can see how it could be helpful for older grades, since those students have more skills and background knowledge, but pre‑K learning is definitely different.

    The AI tool you used is also very interesting! I can see how a program like that could be very beneficial, especially because it can be challenging to come up with lots of practice exercises for students. As I was looking through the different tools MagicSchool offers, many of them seem like helpful time‑savers for both teachers and administrators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I agree with you that MSAI does a good job aligning the lessons and assessments with the standards. You bring up a good point with self-assessments. In my experience, MSAI doesn’t add self-assessments in the lessons. This is an assessment strategy I wish it would incorporate more regularly. Also, I agree that MSAI should be used as a supplement or should be highly edited/proofed by an educator before use. This is precisely why school districts should provide clear guidelines and PD on how to use the resource responsibly and professionally.


    Have a great day,

    AJ Howard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the balanced perspective on using Magic School AI, especially your emphasis on alignment without sacrificing teacher expertise. I agree that while the tool is helpful for connecting CCSS, objectives and assessments, true rigor comes from students justifying their reasoning, not just solving equations. Your concern about reliability resonates with me as well. AI can save time and provide standards-based content, but cant replace a teacher's knowledge of their own students' needs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Blog Assignment

Week 3 Blog Assignment